Do you know how hard it was to even sit down and start this post?
Oh, wait. You probably do because you saw the title and thought “I am burned out. I haven’t been able to write in a while. I don’t feel inspired. Some days I just want to stay in bed. Actually I really want to be on a beach somewhere.”
I have been following the IF:Equip study on Nehemiah and it couldn’t have come at a better time. I don’t know that Nehemiah got burned out persay, but the enemy was using some of his favorite tactics to get Nehemiah to quit what God had called him to do. And I am convinced that burnout is high on his list of favorites.
I understand burnout. And I am going to warn you before you read on. I am still feeling “burned out”, but Kelly and I believe in sharing authentically while IN the process of struggle, not just “once we are on the other side”. We always want you to know we are in this with you, so here are some things God has gently been showing me that are starting to help….well at least get me out of bed in the morning.
- http://workngsd.com/wp-json/oembed/1.0/"http:/workngsd.com/other-services/" Remember. I have been remembering “the call”. You know that moment that God is so clear. When He connected the dots on where my burden, gifts and passions aligned. That moment He showed me what He made me uniquely for. I need to remember.
- http://usafreebiesdaily.com/taylorguitar-taylor-810e-sweepstakes/?share=linkedin Reflect. I have been looking around and behind at where God’s hand is evident in my life. I sometimes can feel guilty though thinking, “I shouldn’t feel burned out, God has blessed me so much, why am I feeling this way”. Too much of a good thing can even burn us out. My prayers are often full of reflection, thanksgiving and even confession of losing site of where God has me and has called me.
- source Reach out. I have to stay connected to my dream defenders. I need to carve out time, even when I don’t feel like it, to gather with my people that get me and can encourage me to keep going OR even to take time to rest.
- Rest. There is a time to rest. It may simply be time to rest and recharge. I need to give my adrenals a break from the constant adrenilin rush that comes with drive and busyness. Our bodies physically feel this. My flesh says that if I say “no” or take a break, that I will lose momentum, jobs, opportunity……… and (confession) even followers.
- Release. This is when I know I must release the fear. l know that God is in control of EVERYTHING … even the jobs, the opportunties, the growth. And all those things pale in comparison to the state of my spirit, my relationship with Him, my home and my health.
And this is where I choose OBEDIENCE over OUTCOME. When I sense its time to rest I need to choose rest confidently and trust that God is in control of the outcome.
So Kelly and I chose to rest this summer. We have barely posted on the blog or even on social media. A marketing NO-NO – “consistency is KEY” they say. Was it a hard decision to make? I will be honest, not really because our motto is: OBEDIENCE over OUTCOME and this was a true test of living what we believe.
So I am slowly being restored. I am going to rest when I need to. I am going to remember and reflect. I am going to choose OBEDIENCE over OUTCOME….oh and GRACE. xoxo, jenn